Wednesday, June 10, 2009

my career in model united nations

It seems like it was fate that brought me into model UN, the first time I went to a conference was because my teacher was missing a delegate so she asked me out of all people to go to the conference, my teacher (Ms Pollio) told me only a day before so I barely knew any of the rules and all the vocabulary used in the UN! I thought it was going to be just fun and games but it requires hard work staying in a room for hours debating a topic. I remember I represented Liechtenstein and I had to learn everything about it in a few short hours. This was my first MUN experience but I wasn’t really great at it, I was a freshman In high school and I still feared public speaking, especially in large groups, I spent most of the time in the room listening to my partner Remy and teaching me some things I had to do, I spoke like 2 times and I was so nervous but this experience made me more confident and now I don’t fear speaking in public at all, what I notice is that each MUN conference helped me learn something new and develop better as a person.
The overall conference was cool because I got to meet new people and I went to the party after the conference, but for what the purpose of MUN is (solving global issues) I was a bit disappointed because I didn’t do what I was capable of, I didn’t even come up with a resolution. But this 1st conference taught me what it takes to be a successful delegate. This was the only conference I went to freshmen year, it wasn’t until January of my sophomore year that I decided to join the class officially with one of my best friends Jeffrey Mena. I joined the class mostly because the next conference was out of state and we got to stay in a hotel in Philadelphia, but it was here that I started taking MUN seriously, I wrote my 1st position paper and I learned the rules and procedures well before we went to this conference.
The Philadelphia conference was the most fun for me, outside of the conference and making resolutions I did many other things that made it the moat fun, for one I had a room with a couple of my best friends Laron and Jeff, I also ate the Philly cheese steak sandwich, I still remember how good it taste its probably the best sandwich I have ever eaten! On Friday night me and my friends went to sleep around 4 to 5 am, I used the coffee maker to make coffee, and we had to wake up at 7 am to go to the conferences, sorry Miss Pollio! It sounds a bit hard to have the stamina to sleep so little and work so much but I was actually able to do good at the conferences, a lot of other things occurred in the hotel but what happened in Philly stays in Philly. The conference mostly focused on showing newcomers how to work in the MUN environment, it was the least serious but there was still serious work to do, me together with my partner Kelvin had to talk about the issues of decentralization and poverty, after the 1st two committee sessions it got a bit boring but Kelvin is a clown and kept me from falling asleep. I sponsored resolutions in both topics and did really well; the chair said that we came close to winning an award but close is not good enough. The last hours in Philly were good the bad part was leaving the hotel was so much fun and the people I meet were cool.
After I got home I had the whole day to relax but after school started we got back to our usual MUN routines, we stared preparing for the UNA USA MUN the biggest conference of the year and it took place in the official United Nations building. We trained heavily on our vocabulary, speaking skills and resolution writing. We also spent lots of time writing our position papers. We had the hardest country to defend… SUDAN! This country has violated many human rights and everyone knew this, so I had to improve my knowledge on the country and my persuasive speaking to do the best I could. We had 2 months and 2 weeks to prepare. Seems like a lot of time, but time flies.
The day of the UNAUSA conference arrives, this conference was the most realistic one in my entire MUN experience, the hotel was nice and the United Nations building was the best. The first day we had a practice session and we went to the opening ceremony in the UN, the most memorable moment was seeing the secretary general of state Ban Ki-moon, he answered questions and welcomed us to the UN, hearing him talk inspired me to do a better job as a MUN delegate, the next two days where very excruciating and tiring, this made me realize how hard being a UN delegate can be, I had the best partner possible (Laron) because he’s very competitive and kept me in focus the entire time, I had a hard time being recognized by the chair but I did excellent on the unmoderated Caucasus, I was able to convince many countries to work with Sudan and that’s a big accomplishment, by the end of the conference I felt disappointed because I only got to speak in a moderated caucus once, and my resolution wasn’t even typed up by the chair and I felt betrayed, I gave up all hope but then I heard the chair say “honorable mention Sudan” I couldn’t believe it. We won an award!!! Me and my partner were the only ones from our school to win a award and I was so proud, I remembered how unhappy I was and just winning the award changed everything, I guess the chair did notice what big of a job we did, this energized me for the whole day, but this same day the conference ended, I was the only one awarded but I wouldn’t have won without the influence of some of my close friends and ms Pollio, my award to me represents my whole class because if it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t have won, I thought I was overly ambitious on winning a award, but I accomplished it, this was my last MUN experience, lets see what the future holds for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment